Friday, March 5, 2010

VIETNAM SECURITY POLICE REUNION


Here is our 2008 picture. Undoubtedly, we will be more handsome this year. Right? That's the Security Police statue in the background dedicated to all the Defenders of the Force. I'm the one right in front of the statue.

I am off to the reunion of a group of old guys who saved western civilization. Our group of United States Air Force Security Police who served in Vietnam are getting together tomorrow at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. I'm excited that my friend, Pat, has arranged a great time for us. The curator wants to get our input on the Vietnam era display. He wants to find out if we think it is realistically portrayed. How cool is that?

There are some things in my life that I'm proud that I've done, but this is at the top of the list. This is the reason that I post with the Security Police badge. As did my brothers, we did our part.

I can say this about my time. I was very much affected by my family history, but really I went in because I thought it was the right thing to do. That may sound trite, but it was my thought process. Every influence in my life was to go in this direction. But let's get this straight. When I decided to enlist, my dad was not thrilled, to say the least. He tried to talk me out of it, but I persisted. He ended by telling me he was proud of me, but he wanted to tell my mother. When it's all said and done, I'm good with what I did and I went on with my life.

My time was many years ago and a lot of it is a fog. I remember the rockets, the noise and the fear, but I also remember that I didn't pay much attention to it. I think because I was 18 I was a little oblivious to the danger.

I think that's really like most soldiers, isn't it?

6 comments:

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Geez! C'mon! Like my eyes, at THIS age, can even friggin' SEE a photo that SMALL!!

That doesn't exPAND!

BZ

Ducky's here said...

I hope you enjoy the reunion and meeting with old comrades. I truly do. Despite what you may think leftists like most of us have respect for the military if not always for the mission.

I do wonder if your statement about "saving western civilization" is tongue in cheek. No matter, probably the greatest film ever made and a great analysis of the warrior class, Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" manages a very important observation.
The warrior class may defend society but they have a limited role in creating the culture they defend.

Just food for thought but I hope you enjoy your reunion.

Kentucky Rain said...

Great pic L&O. Did you have any dealings with the 525 Military Intelligence Company?

Law and Order Teacher said...

BZ,
I'll try to find a better one.

Ducky,
Thanks for the visit. I agree wholeheartedly with the soldiers vs. the mission. In my time, they got it mixed up.

Tongue in cheek. How could I get ahold of that film?

MMA,
Sorry. I was just a low level Sky Cop who humped a post and dodged fire. Military Intelligence? No, sorry. Thanks for the visit.

Ducky's here said...

L&A, you've never seen "Seven Samurai"?

It was remade in Hollywood as "The Magnificent Seven" but that wasn't up to the technique or content of Kurosawa's film.

If you have a Netflix account, it's readily available.
Your local library might have it and Criterion has a rather expensive three disc version out (terrific quality print and well worth the price).

It's probably best known for the final action scene. A five camera setup filmed in the rain in one take that puts the current CGI effects to shame.

You will probably enjoy the great Takashi Shimura (he was later to star in Godzilla) as Kenbe, the samurai leader and maybe the portrait of the ultimate soldier.

BB-Idaho said...

Envy your get together with guys from that unit. I enlisted regular Army '66, but was moved hither and yon (direct commission,
WMD at Dugway, HQ Missile Command,
pentagon) so never had a 'unit' and have lost touch over the last
45 years. Never met a soldier I didn't like...