Sunday, May 4, 2008

MUSIC I REMEMBER


I have been inspired by my friend at American Power (see blogrooll). He has posted music from his youth on his site. While I admire the music he has posted, I can't relate to it. It does not speak to me. Therefore, I will post music from my youth that does speak to me.

My first post will be "The Long and Winding Road." It is hands down my favorite Beatles song for a number of reasons. First, it is just a beautiful song. Secondly, my memories are of high school dances. We always lined up on the walls, male and female. We spent our time looking across the gym at the girls and challenged each other to go across the floor to ask a girl to dance. I spent some time ashamed to walk across that floor because I didn't have the courage. We didn't want to be shot down in front of our friends.

One night I was the target of the jibes of my friends. I didn't like it at all, but I took it because it was less painful than being shot down by a girl. Finally, I gathered my courage and walked across the floor and asked the girl I admired from afar to dance. She looked beautiful and all I wanted was for her to dance with me. She said yes, and we danced to "The Long and Winding Road." I felt like a hero. She was extremely gracious because I sucked at dancing. Mostly, I went across the floor because I wanted to prove to my friends that I had balls.

The perfect ending to the story would be that I married that girl. Too bad. I never saw her after high school, although she gave me her picture to keep when I went into the military. I showed it around like it was a trophy. The Beatles were a group that gave a voice to a generation. We loved them. All the other bands of the 60s copied them. While they expounded on their sound, they were never the same. At least not to me.

Here are the lyrics.

The long and winding road
That leads to your door
Will never disappear
Ive seen that road before
It always leads me her
Lead me to you door

The wild and windy night
That the rain washed away
Has left a pool of tears
Crying for the day
Why leave me standing here
Let me know the way

Many times Ive been alone
And many times Ive cried
Any way youll never know
The many ways Ive tried

But still they lead me back
To the long winding road
You left me standing here
A long long time ago
Dont leave me waiting here
Lead me to your door

But still they lead me back
To the long winding road
You left me standing here
A long long time ago
Dont leave me waiting here
Lead me to your door
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

1 comment:

Tapline said...

L&O Teach, You sure took me back. I remember it well....Although, Mine was int he 50's the dancing was the same.....Time passes soooooo fast....stay well.....