Wednesday, June 13, 2007

NEW ADVENTURE!




I applied to be the girl's varsity soccer coach at my high school. The previous coach had to step down. Today the AD called and offered me the job! I accepted and I am now the head coach. I'm excited to start my new job. For the last 15 years I have been an assistant coach at another high school. I turned down other opportunities, but this seemed a good fit for me at this time in my life. I'll have two assistants who are other teachers. Both played soccer in college and will be a great help to me. One of them is a young teacher who wants to be a head coach. I told her I will help her learn to run a program and when she feels ready I can step down and give her the job. She'll be a great coach. We start conditioning (a nice word for running mostly) on Monday. I talked to a lot of the players that are in my classes and they were happy I got the job. What prompted me to go for it was the number of players who asked me to apply. It's gratifying that the players wanted me for their coach. I'm excited and ready to go!! This was of course after I talked to my wife who was kind of lukewarm towards the idea. She came around after a discussion. Damn I'm lucky she is tolerant of my wild ideas.

4 comments:

ms-teacher said...

Congrats on the Head Coach position! I will be looking forward to reading about your adventures in coaching :)

Also, thanks for the compliment! I was young, I guess, in today's sense of women waiting until almost thirty to have kids. I was married at twenty and had my first at the age of twenty-three.

I still can't believe I'm the mother of a high school graduate!!

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Good luck. Looks like another blog to add to my blogroll...

Law and Order Teacher said...

I am now involved in the glorious part of coaching. I have counted, sorted, and washed 30 some sets of uniforms. I am awash in glory!!

KauaiMark said...

Congrats on the HC soccer job!

Sorry to hear the school doesn't have a laundry service ;)